Position type: Full-time
Location: Vilnius, Lithuania
Work starts: as early as possible (to be discussed with a candidate)
Organization: The Barys Zvozskau Belarusian Human Rights House
Salary level: from1800 Euro/month (after taxes) depending on completences and experience
About the organization: The Barys Zvozskau Belarusian Human Rights House (BHRH) was founded by the Belarusian human rights organizations in 2006. It is a member of the network of Human Rights Houses, which brings together over 90 human rights NGOs in 16 Houses in different countries. BHRH mission is support and development of the human rights movement in Belarus. BHRH works towards its mission via four strategic directions: human rights education, capacity building for human rights defenders and their organizations, protection and support of human rights defenders and human rights advocacy.
Position summary: BHRH Administrative Director is involved into the planning, development and overall coordination of strategic areas of the BHRH activities and is responsible for their implementation; for fundraising, liaising with donors and partners; for managing staff and ensuring smooth operations of the organization. While reporting to the Executive Director and BHRH Board, the Administrative Director ensures day-to-day operations and administrative functions of the organization, including budgeting, staffing, facilities management, and ensuring compliance with policies and regulations.
• Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the BHRH programs, projects and services and ensure that they are in line with the organization's strategy;
• Oversee the implementation of the BHRH policies and procedures;
• Develop and help program staff develop project and program proposals, write reports, analyze budgets and financial reports and submit applications and reports to donors and partners;
• Identify and communicate with potential and current donors and ensure that the organization has sufficient funding for its operations;
• Liaise with the BHRH Belarusian and international partners about project planning, implementation, reporting and fundraising;
• Identify, assess, and inform the Executive Director, the Board and the General Meeting of BHRH stakeholders of internal and external issues that affect the organization;
• Act as a professional advisor to Executive Director, the Board and the General Meeting of BHRH stakeholders on all aspects of the organization's activities;
• Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations; hire, coach and mentor staff as appropriate to improve performance; oversee employee benefits and compensation, implementing personnel policies, and ensuring compliance with employment laws;
• Identify staffing requirements for organizational management and strategy implementation;
• Oversee the financial aspects of the organization: budgeting, financial reporting, monitoring expenses, and ensuring compliance with financial regulations and reporting requirements;
• Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Executive Director and the General Meeting of BHRH stakeholders;
• Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed;
• Oversee managing of office space and equipment, develop and implement administrative systems and procedures, and ensure smooth communication and coordination among staff members;
• Ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and reporting obligations, such as tax filings and annual reports;
• Translate from/into English, Russian, and Belarusian when required;
• Perform other duties delegated by the Executive Director and the Board of the organization.
The candidate should preferably have a university degree, desirably in non-profit sector management, social sciences or humanities.
● Knowledge of leadership and management principles in so far as they relate to non-profit organizations;
● Knowledge/ understanding of the legislation applicable to the work of NGOs in the Republic of Lithuania, and the relevant minimum in Belarus;
● Knowledge of the situation of human rights in Belarus in general, and that of the rights to freedom of association, freedom of expression, freedom of peaceful assembly, and in particular the right to be human rights defenders, as well as the existing restrictions on civil society organizations’ work;
● Knowledge of human resources management principles;
● Knowledge of project and program management principles;
● Organizational skills - planning, delegating, program development;
● Excellent management skills and understanding of the budget, including the budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting;
● Working knowledge of Belarusian or Russian. English and Lithuanian will be an asset.
● Excellent skills in using the MS Office/LibreOffice products, email-clients, popular Internet browsers;
● Preferably: fast typing, understanding of the principles of secure communication.
● At least three years of experience in managerial or administrative work in a civic organization, preferably whose activities were related to Belarus, with a team of at least 5 people;
● Liaisons with the human rights community and/or civil society organizations in Belarus will be an asset;
● Confirmed successful experience in fundraising, understanding of fundraising processes;
● Experience in the implementation of organizational strategies, preferably in an organization’s strategy development.
Please submit your CV along with a motivation letter to email@example.com and indicating in the subject line that this is an application for the position of Executive Director. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview.
For any questions related to the position, please only contact us via the email indicated above.